THE GARDEN STATE PHILHARMONIC…
In 1955, a group of community minded people determined that a need existed to provide quality symphonic music to the residents of the Jersey Shore and founded the Garden State Philharmonic Symphony Society. It began with a dream, some musicians, and very little money. Within a year there was an orchestra, a conductor, a regular schedule, and a bank debt guaranteed by members of the Board of Directors. The credit for that vision goes to Morris Adler, Harry Duckworth, Ed Feiner, Jack Fellows, and Bud Lomell. As a result of their dedication, the audience began to grow along with civic support and private donations.
The orchestra presented its first two seasons in Lakewood before moving to its first Toms River home in 1958. The Orchestra for many years presented only a handful of concerts each season.
In 1959, the GSP began to expand on its commitment to the arts with the creation of the Music for Young People (MYP) — a cooperative effort between school music teachers and the GSP. Through comprehensive music education experiences including: hands-on workshops led by the Conductor and guest artists; live music assemblies led by GSP musicians; and educator materials for the classroom, young people learn about orchestral music, instruments, acoustics, historical and societal influences, concert etiquette, and how to make music in their own school. MYP culminates in free Young People’s Concert(s) performed at a public venue by the GSP, members of the GSPYO, and a chorus of student representatives from participating MYP schools.
For more information, call us at 732-255-0460 or email firstname.lastname@example.org